Civil War rifle reported stolen South of Broad | News
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC)- Police are investigating after a Civil War rifle was reported stolen from a downtown Charleston home.
A report states a resident of 61 Tradd Street called Charleston police on July 18 after his sister-in-law discovered his Springfield Model 1863 .58 caliber rifle missing from the corner of his parlor.
The rifle is valued at $4,500, according to the report.
The victim told officers the musket was taken some time between Friday, July 6, at 4 p.m. and Saturday, July 14.
He told authorities a contractor had been in possession of a key during that timeframe so that he could perform work inside the residence. He also said a lawn crew did work at the home every Friday,
Police stated no evidence of forced entry was found. The investigation is ongoing.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Downtown Stories
Upcoming Events near Downtown
May 25, 7:00PM
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby