Charleston councilwoman completes 26-mile swim in Hawaii | News
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC)- A City of Charleston Councilwoman has completed another milestone in her swimming career by becoming the 25th person to swim across the Molokai Channel in Hawaii.
According to OpenWaterSwimming.com, Kathleen Wilson swam 26 miles from Molokai's Laau Point to Oahu's Sandy Beach in 20 hours and 41 minutes last Saturday.
The website states the conditions were never ideal with the southeast wind blowing up to 15 mph, making the feat even more impressive. The website also says Wilson suffered more than 20 jellyfish stings during her journey.
Mayor Joseph P. Riley, Jr. said, "We are so proud of Councilmember Kathleen Wilson. Her achievements in the waters of the world are outstanding and demonstrates what a determined, dedicated and talented person she is."
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Downtown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal