Broad Street named to greatest streets in America list | News
One of the iconic streets of downtown Charleston has been named one of the greatest streets in America.
The American Planning Association has named Broad Street as one of the 10 Great Streets in America for 2012. The designation is part of the organization's Great Places in America program.
According to a release, Broad Street was selected for its "historic charm, architectural heritage, diversity of uses, and pedestrian orientation."
"To walk along Broad Street is to understand how the past informs the present," said Charleston Mayor Joseph P. Riley, Jr. "The human scale it creates and the extraordinary buildings, vistas and public spaces are a testament to a visionary plan to create a great civic place that transcends time."
APA selects Great Places not only for their beauty, but also for their character, how the locations were planned and executed, and the role the locations play in adding value to communities.
"Envisioned as the center of government and commerce when Charleston was planned in 1680, Broad Street today is that and much more," said APA Chief Executive Officer Paul Farmer. "This is one of the most historically and architecturally significant streets in the country, a street that embraces the past while living in the present and planning for the future."
The 12 blocks of Broad Street feature a number of stunning locations and historically significant buildings.
Broad Street intersects Meeting Street to form the Four Corners of Law, housing the Charleston County Courthouse, The Charleston Federal Courthouse and post office, City Hall, and St. Michael's Episcopal Church. There are also three parks along Broad Street, including Colonial Lake, a nine-acre park.
Other streets listed in APA's Top 10 Great Streets list, in no particular order:
- Duval Street, Key West, FL
- Ward Parkway, Kansas City, MO
- Main Street, Bozeman, MT
- Broadway, Saratoga Springs, NY
- Fifth Avenue, New York City, NY
- Wall Street, Kingston, NY
- Shaker Boulevard, Cleveland, Shaker Heights and Beachwood, OH
- Grant Street, Pittsburgh, PA
- Gay Street, Knoxville, TN
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Downtown Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials release details for 6th remembering of Charleston 9
- Showers and storms likely to help keep temps down
- Suspects wanted for breaking into cars at W. Ashley apartment complex
- HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say
- Former deputy accused of traffic stop assault reaches deal