Cops: 2 arrested following downtown armed robbery | News
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC)- Two men who police say stole over $700 from a man during an armed robbery Monday morning have been arrested by Charleston police.
Police say 22-year-old Cortez Jermain Simmons and 21-year-old Reginald J. Rivers Jr. approached a man parked in his vehicle on Hester Drive in downtown Charleston around 11:40 a.m. on Monday, November 5. Rivers then pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded money.
The two suspects fled the scene and got into a blue 2-door Cadillac after taking over $700 from the victim, police say.
According to an incident report, police spotted the Cadillac at the intersection of King Street and Lenox Street shortly after the robbery.
Police say Simmons attempted to run from officers after the car was stopped, but was quickly captured.
The report states both suspects were identified by the victim and taken to the Charleston Police Department for further questioning.
Simmons and Rivers were both charged with armed robbery.
Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Downtown Stories
Upcoming Events near Downtown
May 25, 7:00PM
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby