Extension cords spark fire in downtown Charleston duplex | News
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC)- Several fire departments put out a fire at a downtown Charleston duplex on Sunday.
Charleston Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Julazadeh said fire crews responded to a duplex fire on Cedar Street, off Meeting Street just north of the I-26 overpass, around 9:30 a.m. to find smoke coming from a second-story window at the rear of the building.
Firefighters did not find anyone home at the time and forced their way in before extinguishing flames in a second-floor bedroom. The bedroom door was closed and contained the fire, significantly limiting the damage to the building, Julazadeh said.
Minor to moderate smoke damage was noted throughout the second floor.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an improper use of electrical extension cords in the bedroom. No working smoke alarms were found inside the home.
Charleston firefighters were assisted by crews from the North Charleston Fire Department and the Saint Andrews Fire Department.
The Charleston Fire Department would like to take this opportunity to remind citizens to:
- Always maintain working smoke alarms in your home –this will improve the safety of the occupants it may provide notification to neighbors or adjacent residents in your absence.
- Cautiously utilize electrical extension cords – extension cords are intended for temporary use only and should never be run under carpet, doors, or other items that may damage the cord or contain the associated heat produced during operation.
Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.
Top Downtown Stories
Upcoming Events near Downtown
May 25, 7:00PM
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Report: Motorcyclist tips bike over to get rid of drunk woman
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight